Topics

Checklist comments for possible Nashville Warbler at Berkeley North Basin

Sam Zuckerman

Here Is checklist with comments on possible Nashville Warbler at Berkeley North Basin. https://ebird.org/checklist/S74364764
I am not confident enough to ID NAWA for certain. Female COYE also possible, but yellow seemed a little too bright and eyering too pronounced. Here are details from checklist:

warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)

Number observed:1
Details:Small warbler with gray head, prominent eyering and bright yellow on chest and belly. Foraging conspicuously in coyote bushes and fennel 50 yards south of Bates Sports Complex and 10 yards east of shoreline trail. Lean to Nashville because of pronounced eyering and extensive yellow, but female Common Yellowthroat possible.

Sam Zuckerman
samzuckerman@...
510-375-3861

Aaron Maizlish

Sam,

I guess if you’re not sure you’re not sure.  I should point out that Nashville, while generally uncommon along the Bay show up with some regularity this time of year.  Your description sounds pretty good, but it probably depends on your confidence on the eye ring.  Also Yellowthroats are common in that spot.

Looking at my sightings of Nashville Warbler on the eastshore, I have one from October 5, 2010 in the fennel at Albany Bulb and one from October 10, 2012 in an oak at Creekside Park. This is that week, and they do love that fennel.

Good birding,

Aaron Maizlish

On Oct 3, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Sam Zuckerman <samzuckerman@...> wrote:

Here Is checklist with comments on possible Nashville Warbler at Berkeley North Basin. https://ebird.org/checklist/S74364764
I am not confident enough to ID NAWA for certain. Female COYE also possible, but yellow seemed a little too bright and eyering too pronounced. Here are details from checklist:

warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)

Number observed:1
Details:Small warbler with gray head, prominent eyering and bright yellow on chest and belly. Foraging conspicuously in coyote bushes and fennel 50 yards south of Bates Sports Complex and 10 yards east of shoreline trail. Lean to Nashville because of pronounced eyering and extensive yellow, but female Common Yellowthroat possible.

Sam Zuckerman
samzuckerman@...
510-375-3861

Edward Vine

Just FYI, several Nashvilles have been reported in the "area" - e.g., I saw one where the
Northern Waterthrush was at Creekside Park and someone else saw one where the Chestnut-sided Warbler was in Richmond.

Ed

--
Edward Vine

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory