From: centralvalleybirds@groups.io <centralvalleybirds@groups.io> on behalf of Ralph via groups.io <sharks_hockey_maniac=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 3:19 PM
To: centralvalleybirds@groups.io <centralvalleybirds@groups.io>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Possible NOTROPIC CORMORANT photos

This is the cormorant that Richard Brown and I saw this morning at Woodward Reservoir. I'm fairly confident of the ID but would like feedback, as this would be a lifer for both Richard and I and a first county record for Stanislaus.

All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank (photos by Richard Brown)

Fred Werner

I forgot EBB doesn't allow posting of photos.  You can find Richard Brown's photos of the Neotropic Cormorant that he, Jodi Smith and Ralph Baker reported on Sunday at Woodward Reservoir on their eBird list here:

- Fred

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM Fred Werner via groups.io <sustainablefred=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here are some photos that were posted to the Central Valley birds listserv of a bird folks were identifying as a Neotropic Cormorant, spotted on Woodward Reservoir, east of Stockton this past Sunday, including comparisons with Double-Crested Cormorants.

It wasn't re-spotted on Monday, not sure if it's been seen since, or if there's been any further confirmation or dispute over the ID.

This is the cormorant that Richard Brown and I saw this morning at Woodward Reservoir. I'm fairly confident of the ID but would like feedback, as this would be a lifer for both Richard and I and a first county record for Stanislaus.

All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank (photos by Richard Brown)

John Harris

Fred, et.al.,
Favorable responses to the photos were received from Alvaro Jaramillo and David Van der Pluym, maybe on the countybirders list, or central valley.
I have not seen the bird but wanted to make a couple comments about the location. The bird was seen from a bridge on 28 Mile Road, which runs along the east side of the reservoir. It is outside the park per se, and one can park on the wide shoulder north of the bridge. Looking west toward the main part of the reservoir, there is a cement wall and a row of orange floats in front of it; the bird was seen on the floats. If one looks to the east, there is an extensive riparian area with dead snags. Cormorants are often perched out there, and I think some spend the night there. To access the main part of the reservoir, an entrance fee is required, and currently one must be a resident of Stanislaus County to enter.
John Harris
Oakdale, CA

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 10:46 AM Fred Werner <sustainablefred@...> wrote:
[...]

David Yeamans

I concur with the tentative ID of neotropic cormorant based on the photos from your ebird list. The size relative to double-crested is just right; there is no cormorant smaller than double-crested in North America. Seen in flight the bird's neck has a particular lump a bit more forward than DCCO. The in flight profile shows the neck and tail about equal length, whereas the DCCO would show a longer neck than tail.

.I know it's worth less than a cup of coffee but as a birding guide I got quite familiar with these two species from having led scores of boat trips and dozens of hiking trips where both species are found together on roost trees and fishing perches at Patagonia Lake State Park, Arizona.

Maybe there are international experts who could suggest other candidates but my money is on neotropic cormorant. Congratulations. May we amateur birders continue expanding the knowledge.

--
Dave

If you see bad, do good.