Castle Rock/Pine Canyon, Walnut Creek

tracy_farrington

Castle Rock Park and Pine Canyon are but a few minutes from my house in Walnut Creek,
and before Spring petered out, I wanted to get together with a few good birders for a field trip there.
This morning, a clear and Spring Beautiful morning, I gathered with good friends beginning
shortly after 7am. I lead through familiar territory (properly masked and distanced) joined by Paul and Nancy Shorr, Ray Whitbeck,
Dal Leit, Walt Duncan, Rosalie Howerth, Donna Kramer, Steve Bufi, Isaac Aranow, and Nat Weber.

The birding began rather slowly with little song, and fewer sightings. But things picked up as we progressed up the
canyon. We did finally see the Peregrine from the second meadow. Whether or not eggs have hatched is still an open
question.

Our efforts took us to the State Park boundary where we listened and looked for several species.

Species count for the day, through all territory, was a respectable 52, as follows:

California Quail
Wild Turkey
Band-tailed Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
White-throated Swift
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Turkey Vulture
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Acorn Woodpecker
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Peregrine Falcon
Black Phoebe]
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Hutton's Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Cassin's Vireo
Steller's Jay
California Scrub Jay
Common Raven
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Violet-green Swallow
Bushtit
Wrentit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Rock Wren
House Wren
Bewick's Wren
European Starling
Western Bluebird
American Robin
Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch
Lark Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
California Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Bullock's Oriole (at least four nesting pair through the canyon)
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Hermit Warbler (striking male, first spotted by Donna Kramer)
Wilson's Warbler
Western Tanager
Black-headed Grosbeak

Good birding to all,