Topics

Cassin's Finch at Tilden Botanical Gardens

Lee Friedman

Birders,

This morning at approximately 10:30AM, I saw what I believe to be a Cassin’s Finch at the Tilden Botanical Gardens. It was sitting on a tree top near the center of the Garden. It had the distinctly red crown much brighter than any other part, pink wash on throat and upper breast, whitish lower breast and belly with barely detectable streak marks, notched tail. This species is known to mix with other montane finches like the Red Crossbills and Pine Siskin reported here yesterday by Erica Rutherford and John Colbert. I don’t think it’s an accident that today Dave Quady reported a sighting (by Mona and Hortacio Mena) of another mountain bird the Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch on Tilden’s Seaview Trail. Something is pushing these birds our way this year. A photo for id purposes of the Cassin’s Finch is attached to my eBird report:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61378729

Good birding,

Lee Friedman

Alvaro Jaramillo

Lee et al.
That does look like a Cassin's Finch. Very good find. Note first that the co-finder of the rosy finch is Horacio Mena, not Hortacio. But also note that the Rosy Finch is a "Hepburn's" Rosy Finch from much farther north, not a Sierra bird. You can identify it by the extensive gray on the face. This bird has come from the north, not from the East. The arrival of the Rosy Finch and Cassin's Finch may have no correlation at all.
Regards
Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
alvaro@...