Topics

Calliope Hummingbird on Garin Rd in Hayward

Bob Toleno

Juli Chamberlin and i birded the Pride of Madeira patch on Garin Road, in the residential neighborhood just down the hill from the entrance to Garin Regional Park today. Being mid-April, we had high hopes of seeing a Calliope Hummingbird and we were not disappointed. We parked on Clearbrook Circle and walked a short distance to the corner of Garin Road, where we quickly found a displaying male Allen's, a beautiful male Rufous, and got quick looks at a small green-backed hummingbird that we thought was probably a Calliope. We waited a few minutes and sure enough, a gorgeous male Calliope Hummingbird came to feed in the Pride of Madeira bush just 15 feet away, giving us outstanding views of its green crown, tiny bill, and beautiful pink striped gorget. This was a long-awaited county bird (and 5MR bird) for me!

Please note: Garin RP is closed on weekends, so if you try to see the Calliope, you won't be able to get into the park itself for birding afterward. Even though some birders have been visiting there during the week, those of us who still need to work Mon-Fri sadly don't have that option.

Bob Toleno
Hayward