Topics

bushtits eating at seed feeder

Chris Burkhart

Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
I have not seen this before. I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores. Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Jackie Bobrosky

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder. What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds. I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this. Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
I have not seen this before. I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores. Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Lisa Gorrell

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:
I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Bob Lewis

Ditto to our shelled sunflower seed feeder in Berkeley.  It’s the first time we’ve had bushtits at our feeder in over 10 years.

Bob Lewis

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

mbstern2

Our bushtits are coming to our suety cakes .  About 12-15 at a time. Also we have never seen this behavior.

Maury Stern

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 03:22:35 PM PDT, Bob Lewis via groups.io <rlewis0727@...> wrote:

Ditto to our shelled sunflower seed feeder in Berkeley.  It’s the first time we’ve had bushtits at our feeder in over 10 years.

Bob Lewis

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Preston Mui

One theory of the recent mass die-off of birds in the southwest is low insect populations. Perhaps this is related.

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 03:22:35 PM PDT, Bob Lewis via groups.io <rlewis0727=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ditto to our shelled sunflower seed feeder in Berkeley.  It’s the first time we’ve had bushtits at our feeder in over 10 years.

Bob Lewis

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Chris Burkhart

Thanks all for replying to my post!  It seems that many have noted bushtits at feeders and that has been unusual in the past.  I also worry that insect die-off may be responsible.  I'll be sure to keep that feeder going.

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:
I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Teri L Wills

We’ve had bushtits coming to our suet feeders for 2 or 3 years. There was also a talk about this behavior among bushtits in Colorado at the Western Field Ornithologists meeting a couple of years ago- memorable because the speaker referred to bushtits as “suet piranhas”
Chris and Teri Wills
Martinez

On Oct 7, 2020, at 3:33 PM, mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2@...> wrote:

Our bushtits are coming to our suety cakes .  About 12-15 at a time. Also we have never seen this behavior.

Maury Stern

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 03:22:35 PM PDT, Bob Lewis via groups.io <rlewis0727@...> wrote:

Ditto to our shelled sunflower seed feeder in Berkeley.  It’s the first time we’ve had bushtits at our feeder in over 10 years.

Bob Lewis

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Chris Hayamizu

We’ve served up Bark Butter, a product of Wild Birds Unlimited for years. Bushtits have been flocking to it since last winter. Contains peanuts and suet.

Chris Hayamizu
El Cerrito

On Oct 7, 2020, at 3:33 PM, mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2@...> wrote:

Our bushtits are coming to our suety cakes .  About 12-15 at a time. Also we have never seen this behavior.

Maury Stern

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 03:22:35 PM PDT, Bob Lewis via groups.io <rlewis0727@...> wrote:

Ditto to our shelled sunflower seed feeder in Berkeley.  It’s the first time we’ve had bushtits at our feeder in over 10 years.

Bob Lewis

Bushtits have been coming to my peanut feeder in large groups during most of the Summer. I live in Martinez.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb@...> wrote:

I'm in Martinez and have had around 15 Bushtits regularly coming to a very small seed feeder.  What is on the ground, they are spread out there as well eating dropped shelled sunflower seeds.  I've lived here over 30 years and this is the first time they've done this.  Unusual here as well.
Thanks for your post.
 Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez

> On 10/07/2020 6:20 AM Chris Burkhart via groups.io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> Hello, we have a flock of about a dozen bushtits who have taken to eating regularly at one of our feeders.
> I have not seen this before.  I always assumed they were pretty strict insectivores.  Wondering if others have noted this behavior.

Carla

Here's a twist- today, Wednesday, was the first time that we've ever had Bushtits in our front yard fountain! They dropped one by one out of our Magnolia tree until there were NINE of them splashing together! Such a cute scene!

Carla Din
Oakland