Topics

Bullock's Oriole - Contra Loma R. P., Antioch - 3/18

Paul Schorr

This afternoon Nancy and I spent about two hours walking at Contra Loma Regional Park. It was a very pleasant day before spring. The dark gray clouds hung low over the recently refreshed green hillsides and a chorus of Western Meadowlarks seemed to announce the arrival of a new season. Note: the road into Contra Loma is closed, but parking is available just outside the gate. Drinking fountains are turned off and bathrooms are closed.

Near the bridge to Loma Island, we first heard and then Nancy spotted a stunning male Bullock’s Oriole. We both had good looks at this FOS bird.

Additional notable sightings included:

A pair of Killdeer with one bird on the nest and two eggs showing, so soon we expect a full clutch of four eggs.
Osprey
White-tailed Kite
American White Pelican (10)
Common Gallinule

Happy and safe birding.

Paul Schorr
Antioch

Herb and Randi Long

How wonderful to get out. Thanks for sharing.

Randi and Herb