Brooks Island

Ethan Monk

Hi All--

A rather quick note regarding nesting activity this year on Brooks Island that may be old news to some. As many of you probably know, Brooks Island held one of the Bay's largest Caspian Tern breeding colonies until 4-5 years ago when they were all displaced by a newly arrived colony of California Gulls. This year is the first year the terns have been back on the island, and today I spotted 6 downy Caspian Tern chicks among ~60 adults, making the first conclusive evidence of breeding I've seen this season (up until this point, breeding seemed likely but impossible to confirm). Exciting news that successful colonies of Caspian Terns and California Gulls can coexist in the same place.

In more depressing news, on Brooks Island it appears a Brown Pelican has hung itself in one of the island's few trees, above the heron/egret rookery. Its pouch seemed snagged on a branch, and the bird hung below swinging in the wind. It appeared quite dead. A poor photo is here: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/352703141 This is the first I've ever heard of this happening.

Ethan Monk