Briones Reservoir

rfs_berkeley

Joe Eaton and I did an eBird walk this morning at Briones Reservoir, hiking 1.5 miles in from the north entrance.

.

We had a singing male Black-throated Gray Warbler.  Well seen.  Seems late for a migrant.

.

A big surprise was a Downy Woodpecker nest hole with young in the nest, being fed by and adult female, then a second adult female; the two at the nest hole at the same time.  Joe did some research in Birds of the World and several cases of adult female 'helpers' are noted in the species account, though all in the East.  Both these adult females fed the young in the nest.

   Rusty Scalf

   Berkeley, CA