Topics

Briones reservoir Lawrence’s goldfinch 5/15

Teri L Wills

We saw a male Lawrence’s Goldfinch from the Oursan Trail about 2 miles west of the trail junction with Hampton trail. There are several access points to this EBMUD property around Briones Reservoir. A permit is required. We started at the Hampton Road entrance which is off Bear Creek Road about 1 mile south of Alhambra Valley Road. The area is called Briones. The bird was about 2 1/2 miles from the trail head.

Chris and Teri Wills
Martinez

Cathy Bleier

Saw a pair of Lawrence’s Goldfinches yesterday at about 11:30 AM at Briones Park (East Bay Regional Park District) at the Maud Whelan group campsite, up  the Abrigo Trail from the Bear Creek Staging Area parking lot.   (Parking lot there is now open; go online to see status of other park gates and lots). They landed on the picnic table while we were looking the other way at the Bullock’s Orioles.  My husband took a quick, blurry but useful photo, and then the birds were gone. https://ebird.org/checklist/S69152426 .  Also present there were Western Kingbirds and lots of fledged Barn Swallows; no Lark Sparrows or Lazuli Buntings presented themselves to us, but they should be there.  Along the walk there was lots of vocal House Wren activity, as everywhere else the past week or two, and multiple Ash-throated Flycatchers and Warbling Vireos.
Safe birding!

Teale Fristoe

I've also seen Lawrence's Goldfinches a couple of times in the east bay in the past week or so. It seems like it may be a good year for this species so keep your eyes open whenever you're in the right habitat and make sure you scan those Lesser Goldfinch flocks.

On May 6th I saw three at Briones Regional Park. A friend posted a photo and the location on iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/45143868

On May 13th I saw four at Sibley Volcanic Regional Park. Unfortunately they flushed before I could get a photo. They were around 37.860132, -122.202449.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley