Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve, Antioch

Paul Schorr

This morning on my way to Costco I decided to do a brief trip to Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve where I birded for about one hour. I birded along the road and around the upper parking lot/ picnic area. Notable species included the following:

Lark Sparrows
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Lazuli Bunting (FOS)

In addition, two downy Red-tailed Hawk chicks were active in a nest in a large oak on the west side of the road approximately one-half mile from the kiosk while driving to the upper parking lot. One of the adults was perched on a telephone pole nearby.

When I returned home, there was a male Black-headed Grosbeak in our backyard.

Good Birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch