Black-chinned Sparrow- Mount Diablo

blakelock@sbcglobal.net

David Nickerson and I birded Mount Diablo today. David heard a Black-chinned Sparrow downslope on South Gate RD at the GPS points:

37.8419287,-121.9279359

We were able to get good looks. Pictures in Ebird report. Had 2 Bell’s Sparrows a little further up from the Black-chinned spot. They were about .5 mile below entrance kiosk where Bell’s have been seen in the past.

We also birded the Green Ranch RD area and had another Bell’s Sparrow, a Hermit Warbler along with 2 Yellow, 2 Townsend’s, 1 Orange-crowned and 2 Wilson’s warblers. Plus a male and female Lawrence’s Goldfinch that were hanging out together. Possibly a breeding pair.

Good Birding,

John Blakelock

Sjbu@...

Visited the Black-chinned Sparrow site on 5/24 and found the bird. The site is technically in a No Parking Zone.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S88916734

Steve Buffi

Joe Morlan

Singing male Black-chinned Sparrow still present this morning.

Photos: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/80290085

Dropped pin: https://goo.gl/maps/fDq5WQT8a6AquDNZ7

Also managed distant photos of a singing Bell's Sparrow...

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/80290084

...up the road closer to the entrance gate.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA