Topics

Black-chinned Sparrow at Sibley Volcanic Regional Park

Teale Fristoe

Hello,

This morning Dorian Anderson, a birder visiting from San Mateo, found a Black-chinned Sparrow at Sibley Volcanic Regional Park. When I went out to see it (10:30-12:30) it was moving around Volcanic and Quarry Trails, singing fairly regularly. It often perched within coyote bushes making it difficult to locate and moved around a fairly large area. If you look for the bird I recommend slowly walking down Volcanic Trail listening for it.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Teale Fristoe

Hello again,

This morning several birders braved gusty winds, dense fog, and bone chilling cold to refind the Black-chinned Sparrow discovered yesterday. The bird was more skulky than ever, only appearing briefly in flight a few times, but sang frequently. It took a while to locate the bird on the slope overlooking Quarry Road (best staked out around 37.858511, -122.201500), but it spent most of its time there, unlike yesterday when it moved around a lot.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:21 PM Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:
Hello,

This morning Dorian Anderson, a birder visiting from San Mateo, found a Black-chinned Sparrow at Sibley Volcanic Regional Park. When I went out to see it (10:30-12:30) it was moving around Volcanic and Quarry Trails, singing fairly regularly. It often perched within coyote bushes making it difficult to locate and moved around a fairly large area. If you look for the bird I recommend slowly walking down Volcanic Trail listening for it.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Erica

After several hours touring the Volcanic and Quarry trails, the Black-chinned Sparrow started singing loudly and distinctively at the north end of the Volcanic trail, 37.859130, -122.201275,  starting around 10am. Hard to find, eventually it flew across the road and disappeared heading North. This was overlooking Quarry Rd as Teale mentioned yesterday.

Good Birding!
John & Erica

East Bay Birding