Birds along Wildcat Canyon Road

Claude Lyneis

Yesterday along Wildcat Canyon Road about a quarter mile south east of Grizzly Peak Road I saw some Ruby-crowned Kinglets. The unusual part was I could see their Ruby Crowns.  I had binoculars but no camera.

Today I brought my camera and the first bird I saw was a Nuttall’s Woodpecker.  https://flic.kr/p/2mKae8i. I have only seen them once and that was in Hayward.

Then I saw a White-breasted Nuthatch.  https://flic.kr/p/2mK5Ejb. That was a first for me.

After a while a few Ruby-crowned Kinglet’s arrived and they are the trickiest to photograph, but I got one with the crown showing https://flic.kr/p/2mK1BvE

Also there in about a 100 ft circle were Lesser Goldfinches, California Towhees and Chestnut-backed Chickadees.  It is not clear what attracted these birds, although perhaps some of the trees were Elderberry.

A week ago farther along Wildcat Canyon Road, there was a pair of Great-horned Owls just off the road, but no camera.