Topics

Birding NOT banned or prohibited in California

David Robinson

As per someone else's suggestion:  when replying to this thread, please changed the subject line, so as not to cause undue alarm for anyone who hasn't read the corrections of the original message.

Thank you.

And happy birding!

David R.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:16 PM Ellen Sampson <ellenenroute@...> wrote:
Police were strictly enforcing parking rules at Inspiration Point, Tilden. Two people who were parked within the lot but not inside marked parking slots were given tickets.

Several birders out this morning, and the Ruby-crowned kinglets were singing, especially one male near a cluster of willows that were shedding seeds. Many other species singing and calling along the Nimitz.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 9:41 AM Chuq Von Rospach via Groups.Io <chuqui=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Both the Mountain View Police and Milpitas Police this morning have tweeted that going out for walks is okay:

https://twitter.com/MountainViewPD/status/1241016284034162689

To reiterate, even Governor Newsom said “shelter in place” does not mean “stuck inside.” You *can* go outside to exercise, get fresh air, help kids get their wiggles out.

You can go to parks, trails, etc.

Just please practice safe social distancing.

With the local authorities saying this, I consider the question answered. It’s okay to go out and get your exercise as long as you take proper care.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuqui.com
Email: chuqui@...
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California

(formerly chuqvr@.... Same me, less google)

From: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone@...>
Date: Friday, March 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM
To: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Birding is now prohibited in California

My understanding is that this does not preclude going for walks, and therefore would not preclude birding. The only condition is that you do not meet up with people outside of your household, and practise social distancing with those you come across while out. Governor Newsom was quoted in the LA Times as saying, "“We’re going to keep the grocery stores open,” he said. “We’re going to make sure that you’re getting critical medical supplies. You can still take your kids outside, practicing common sense and social distancing. You can still walk your dog.”"

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 07:56, artbum@... via Groups.Io <artbum=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Mar 19, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

--

My photographs can be viewed on Flickr.

Lorrie Klosterman

Thank you for changing the subject line, clever humans!
Lorrie K.
Berkeley

From: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone@...>
Date: Friday, March 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM

[...]