Topics

Birding is now prohibited in California

Noah Arthur

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Mike Azevedo

It's hard to tell if this article came out hours before or after the governor's mandate.  But it clearly says the parks are open for outdoor use, with clear guidelines to stay away from groups.

Mike Azevedo

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta@...>
To: East Bay Birds <ebb-sightings@groups.io>; North Bay Birds <northbaybirds@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Mar 19, 2020 7:59 pm
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Birding is now prohibited in California

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Bev

Thank you for the updates.  I hope we won't be arrested for going into nature. I'm seeing friends seriously depressed, with the few who got outside in nature suddenly much better. Suicide is a concern for many, as is an increase in murder among people trapped at home. I don't want to sound morbid but it's a real worry if people are literally terrified to leave their homes, especially for women in abusive situations.

Birding and being in nature is a perfect antidote for so much stress as well as good for the immune system.

Plus I can't imagine dog-owners without yards staying inside....

But we need to warnings to be clear because people are already panicked.

Bev

It's hard to tell if this article came out hours before or after the governor's mandate.  But it clearly says the parks are open for outdoor use, with clear guidelines to stay away from groups.

Mike Azevedo

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Shaddi Hasan

I don't think it's banned. The governor mentioned exercise and dog walking during his press conference, and the actual text of the order (https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf) is somewhat vague on what is authorized: "Californians must have access to such necessities as...".

Shaddi Hasan

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020, 8:16 PM Mike Azevedo via Groups.Io <geochelone=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
It's hard to tell if this article came out hours before or after the governor's mandate.  But it clearly says the parks are open for outdoor use, with clear guidelines to stay away from groups.

Mike Azevedo

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Ken Copen

It's not banned. I'll be out looking for early migrants this Saturday.

"The mandate is identical to the one in the Bay Area, meaning individuals can also leave their houses to take a walk or go for a jog so long as they are practicing the requisite precautions when coming into contact with another individual."

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 08:43:55 PM PDT, Shaddi Hasan <shaddih@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Peter Rauch

What is "get necessary health care" ?   Why, that's birding alone, isn't it?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 7:59 PM Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Michaela F.

Birding is not banned.  Going to public parks is not banned.  Stay 6 feet away from other people and you’ll be fine.

Michaela

On Mar 19, 2020, at 9:03 PM, Peter Rauch <peterar@...> wrote:

What is "get necessary health care" ?   Why, that's birding alone, isn't it?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 7:59 PM Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

artbum@aol.com

On Mar 19, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta@...> wrote:

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

Mark Featherstone

My understanding is that this does not preclude going for walks, and therefore would not preclude birding. The only condition is that you do not meet up with people outside of your household, and practise social distancing with those you come across while out. Governor Newsom was quoted in the LA Times as saying, "“We’re going to keep the grocery stores open,” he said. “We’re going to make sure that you’re getting critical medical supplies. You can still take your kids outside, practicing common sense and social distancing. You can still walk your dog.”"

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 07:56, artbum@... via Groups.Io <artbum=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Mar 19, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

So it looks like, under the new statewide Stay Home order, that birding is now not permitted in California. The order states that California residents must stay home except to “get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care, or go to essential jobs.” Unlike in the Bay Area shelter-in-place orders, this statewide order does not make an exception for outdoor activities.

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

--
My photographs can be viewed on Flickr.

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@...>

Both the Mountain View Police and Milpitas Police this morning have tweeted that going out for walks is okay:

https://twitter.com/MountainViewPD/status/1241016284034162689

To reiterate, even Governor Newsom said “shelter in place” does not mean “stuck inside.” You *can* go outside to exercise, get fresh air, help kids get their wiggles out.

You can go to parks, trails, etc.

Just please practice safe social distancing.

With the local authorities saying this, I consider the question answered. It’s okay to go out and get your exercise as long as you take proper care.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuqui.com
Email: chuqui@...
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California

(formerly chuqvr@.... Same me, less google)

From: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone@...>
Date: Friday, March 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM
To: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>

[...]

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

--

My photographs can be viewed on Flickr.

Bev

On KTUV news last night, after the Governor's announcement, they said to go out and walk in the parks for exercise. All the Governor is saying is what our local Bay Area counties had already ordered.

No way are the dog owners with no yards going to let their dogs go inside.

I'm going out for the birds and nature today.

Bev

[...]

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)

--
My photographs can be viewed on Flickr.

Lee Friedman

I think it is not clear yet whether the Governor's order will be consistent or inconsistent with the earlier county orders that explicitly do allow some outdoor activities as long as proper social distancing is followed. This morning, in a special report by the East Bay Times "Gov. Newsom's coronavirus shutdown in California: What are the rules?", it says:
"Go outside, get some fresh air and clear your head this weekend. Yes, hiking, mountain biking and riding horses in parks and open spaces are permitted during the shutdown. But do so carefully and don't go in groups."

Of course the East Bay Times is not definitive, and I don't know its source for this. But I'd be surprised if the Governor really intended to forbid all outdoor activities, and I think further clarification from his office is highly likely.
Good birding when possible, and good health as much as possible.
Lee Friedman

Steve Taylor

Lee

Since almost everyone seems to be unsure about this it would be really nice if the governor would make his announcements more clearly and say flat out yes you can go outside to walk or hike or you cannot. Would certainly cut down on all the emails.

On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Lee Friedman <lfried6@...> wrote:

[...]

Dana Gallo

The original county ruling stated that people of high risk should stay inside. High risk includes those 65 years old and up. So, I hope he addresses the specific question “if I am healthy and over 65, can I go for a walk?”

On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Steve Taylor <s-taylor@...> wrote:

[...]

tomcrown1@...

I agree I hope the answer is yes. Just a warning that if you are in the 20 to 50 years age group keep your distance as latest statistic from Italy shows this group is just much at risk as those over 65. So do go birding but keep your distance by at least 6 feet.

Also birds do not pose any health risks to humans or humans to birds so go out and enjoy the birds

On Mar 20, 2020, at 12:18 PM, Dana Gallo via Groups.Io <danagallo68=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

larrcamp

I have to believe that the 65 and older risk is based on the assumption that people of that age group "might" have more health problems.  If you have no more problems than younger people, I can't see that you are in any more danger than anyone else.

On Friday, March 20, 2020, 12:34:52 PM PDT, <tomcrown1@...> wrote:

I agree I hope the answer is yes. Just a warning that if you are in the 20 to 50 years age group keep your distance as latest statistic from Italy shows this group is just much at risk as those over 65. So do go birding but keep your distance by at least 6 feet.

Also birds do not pose any health risks to humans or humans to birds so go out and enjoy the birds

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 12:18 PM, Dana Gallo via Groups.Io <danagallo68=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> The original county ruling stated that people of high risk should stay inside.  High risk includes those 65 years old and up.  So, I hope he addresses the specific question “if I am healthy and over 65, can I go for a walk?”
>> On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Steve Taylor <s-taylor@...> wrote:
>>
>> Lee
>>
>> Since almost everyone seems to be unsure about this it would be really nice if the governor would make his announcements more clearly and say flat out yes you can go outside to walk or hike or you cannot.  Would certainly cut down on all the emails.
>>>
>>> I think it is not clear yet whether the Governor's order will be consistent or inconsistent with the earlier county orders that explicitly do allow some outdoor activities as long as proper social distancing is followed. This morning, in a special report by the East Bay Times "Gov. Newsom's coronavirus shutdown in California: What are the rules?", it says:
>>> "Go outside, get some fresh air and clear your head this weekend. Yes, hiking, mountain biking and riding horses in parks and open spaces are permitted during the shutdown. But do so carefully and don't go in groups."
>>>
>>> Of course the East Bay Times is not definitive, and I don't know its source for this. But I'd be surprised if the Governor really intended to forbid all outdoor activities, and I think further clarification from his office is highly likely.
>>> Good birding when possible, and good health as much as possible.
>>> Lee Friedman

Ellen Sampson

Police were strictly enforcing parking rules at Inspiration Point, Tilden. Two people who were parked within the lot but not inside marked parking slots were given tickets.

Several birders out this morning, and the Ruby-crowned kinglets were singing, especially one male near a cluster of willows that were shedding seeds. Many other species singing and calling along the Nimitz.

From: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone@...>
Date: Friday, March 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM
To: <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>

[...]

From what I’ve heard, this or something like it will last for 3 months, possibly be lifted in July and August, then resume in the fall and last through winter.