Bird goings on in Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Starting around the third week of September, the White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows start arriving.  They are accompanied by the Yellow-rumped Warblers, which seem to be almost everywhere.

This past Tuesday a Lark Sparrow was across the sidewalk from the gravel boat ramp.  Today I found an Orange-crowned Warbler with all its cousins.  David Kent and I also found a Greater White-fronted Goose and an American Pipit on the north ball field.  This was after the large mowing machine had finished its job, sometime about 9:30.

We also have been seeing the first Pied-billed Grebes arrive for the winter.  So far it is two of them.  They are accompanied by two Common Gallinules, sometimes the two young, but becoming adult, Wood Ducks, and today two Ring-necked Ducks.  With them on the large, mostly natural pond were four Coots.

It is a strange in-between time with summer days and winter nights.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek