Big Break and Marsh Creek Trail

kathy jarrett

GGAS Big Break and Marsh Creek Trail Bicycle Trip, Sat Apr 10,
2010
Highlights: Western Kingbirds, Green Heron, Bonaparte's
Gulls, pair of Northern Harriers.

We started at the new trailhead which is the
first right just past Vintage Parkway and went out to the new fishing pier to
have a good view of the water. The wind was in our faces and there was the
threat of rain, so we went nearly to Sunset Rd on the trail before turning back,
about 17 miles in all. Between Delta and Sunset Roads the trail passes a sewage
treatment plant where we saw the Antioch? Primrose and a Fremontia tree in
bloom. The Bonaparte's Gulls and a large number of Northern Shovelers were at the Ironhouse Sanitary District Sewage
ponds which are only a short distance in from the trailhead at Fetzer and Jordan Lanes.
37 species
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron