Topics

Bewick’s Wren Ventriloquism?

Alan Kaplan

The Bewick’s Wren seems to start from one side of the yard and finish on the other! I don’t hear the song that way in Tilden.
Has anyone else heard ventriloquist Bewick’s? Any research you know of on how they do this? Thanks!
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Chris Burkhart

I used to tell my wife when we hiked that if you hear a bird and you can’t figure out the song or where it’s coming from it’s likely a Bewicks

On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:30 AM, Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:

The Bewick’s Wren seems to start from one side of the yard and finish on the other! I don’t hear the song that way in Tilden.
Has anyone else heard ventriloquist Bewick’s? Any research you know of on how they do this? Thanks!
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Alan Kaplan

And I say; If you Know it is a Song Sparrow, it is a Song Sparrow. If you Think it is a Song Sparrow, it is a Bewick’s Wren!
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

On Mar 20, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Chris Burkhart via Groups.Io <burdurz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I used to tell my wife when we hiked that if you hear a bird and you can’t figure out the song or where it’s coming from it’s likely a Bewicks
On Mar 20, 2020, at 11:30 AM, Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:

The Bewick’s Wren seems to start from one side of the yard and finish on the other! I don’t hear the song that way in Tilden.
Has anyone else heard ventriloquist Bewick’s? Any research you know of on how they do this? Thanks!
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Kirk Swenson

Some wrens in other parts of the world pair-sing, where one member of a pair starts the song and the other member finishes it. I don't know if that's something Bewick's Wrens can do, but it would be an interesting observation if true.

Good birding!
Kirk Swenson
Davis, CA

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM Alan Kaplan <LNKPLN67@...> wrote:
The Bewick’s Wren seems to start from one side of the yard and finish on the other! I don’t hear the song that way in Tilden.
Has anyone else heard ventriloquist Bewick’s? Any research you know of on how they do this? Thanks!
Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Alan Kaplan

Friends!
Thanks for your responses.

I am absolutely sure this is one bird!
Sometimes it is throwing its voice and sometimes not, but it is a single bird that does the few note intro and seems to be in one place, and very quickly finishes the song as if it was 10 or even 20 feet away.

I would have thought Donald Kroodsma had something on this but I have not found it yet.

Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan