From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alexander Henry
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 7:08 PM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Bethany Reservoir Gulls and Other Birds

I spent the day at Lindemann Road and Bethany Reservoir in eastern Alameda County today. My target was Tundra Swan, which I failed to find. However, there were lots of other birds.

I started early at Lindemann Road where there were 16 Hooded Mergansers and 3 Canvasbacks in the shallow wetland, 1 Common Merganser with the Common Goldeneyes in the deeper channel (Ala/CoCo county line). 4 Long-billed Curlews flew over, and there was also a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

After Lindemann Road, I decided to go to Bethany Reservoir. I had never thoroughly birded Bethany Reservoir, so I was very pleasantly surprised. The first highlight was a Townsend’s Warbler, which is pretty rare east of the Altamont Pass in Alameda. There were 3 Soras near the south end of the reservoir - also unusual in east county.

The best part of Bethany Reservoir was gulls. I estimated about 1800 gulls on the reservoir. Many of these were Herring, California was the second most numerous. There were lots of Glaucous-winged Gulls and Thayer’s Gulls as well. The highlights of the gull flock were a second winter Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Glaucous Gull (pretty distant, bill pattern was not seen super well, could possibly be Glaucous x Glaucous-winged). There was also a adult Iceland Gull that had primaries which seemed too pale for Thayer’s, possibly a Kumlien’s Gull or in between.

If you want to chase these gulls, the approximate area is the south-central part of the reservoir, around (37.7754307, -121.6047649). I suggest going in the mid-morning, the sun angle is worse in the afternoon and many of the gulls fly to Clifton Court Forebay in the evening.

Alex Henry
Berkeley