Bay Point Regional Shoreline

rosita94598

Late last week and over the weekend, a number of reports originated from Bay Point  Primarily the attraction was Pectoral Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs.  If I understand correctly, Albert Linkowski reported these birds first.

So instead of doing a loop around the ponds in Heather Farm today, Walt D and I decided to look for these birds.  We left Walnut Creek a bit after 8:30, which is something the two of us ordinarily would not do.  What a shock.  We were glad we were headed north and then east along the freeways, not the other way around.

It was windier today than we would have preferred, but we walked out to the northwest corner of the walking trail where there is a very shallow pond.  Eventually I put the legs on my scope tripod way out so I could sit on the slope off the trail and have the least problem with the wind.

We found two Pectoral Sandpipers on the far edge, but did not find any Lesser Yellowlegs.  Their bigger cousins were present, along with some Black-necked Stilts and Least Sandpipers.

Pretty cool and we were home around 10:30 AM.  Thanks for the reports.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek