Topics

Barrow's Goldeneye - Contra Loma R. P., Antioch - 2/18

Paul Schorr

After dipping on the Red-necked Grebe at Clifton Court Forebay, Nancy and I headed to Contra Loma R. P. At 2:10, I spotted a male Barrow’s Goldeneye off of the Channel Point parking lot. The bird was about a couple hundred yards out on the reservoir, but provided good scope views. We continued to watch and photograph the bird as it moved closer to shore, making its way toward the swimming lagoon. At that point binocular views were excellent. I will share photos on my eBird posting. For awhile it was accompanied by a first winter female Barrow's Goldeneye.

While I was photographing the goldeneyes, Nancy noticed a Sora that was feeding in open view on the matted vegetation along the shore in front of us. We enjoyed terrific views as it sorted through the vegetation.

In addition there were about twelve American White Pelicans on the reservoir.

Happy birding.

Paul Schorr
Antioch