Barn Owl at Pt. Isabel near the Richmond Field Station

Claude Lyneis

Jan 5, as several have reported a Barn Owl was sighted and I was fortunate to watch and photograph it between about 2: and 3:30 PM at Pt. Isabel near the Richmond Field Station   A link to one photo is below.  It will take more time to find the best of a few hundred shots.  But here is a link to one of the photos

Barn Owl. https://flic.kr/p/2kpvSAj

This was no night owl out of his rhythm.  It was definitely hunting and a couple of times it had captured a mouse like animal.  It was flying parallel to the trail from about the Richmond Field Station to just south of the paved path coming from 51st.

Also a first for me, A Peregrine Falcon flew over.  Link.to the Peregrine (I think) . https://flic.kr/p/2kpvk7m

rudebuschj@...

Hi Claude,

Your barn owl pics are beautiful! Your “peregrine” sighting, however, is actually a juvenile sharp-shinned hawk : )

Happy Birding,

Jane
Orinda, CA

Claude Lyneis

I agree it is not a Peregrine Falcon.  Certainly could be a juvenile Coopers Hawk or a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk.
Claude

On Jan 5, 2021, at 5:56 PM, rudebuschj@... wrote:

Hi Claude,

Your barn owl pics are beautiful! Your “peregrine” sighting, however, is actually a juvenile sharp-shinned hawk : )

Happy Birding,

Jane
Orinda, CA

Preston Mui

Claude, you must be the photographer I met yesterday. I was the birding cyclist who had just seen the hooded mergansers at miller-knox (two of them, a male and female, in the pond for anyone reading). I agree with Sharp-shinned: I observed a small head and a quick wingbeat, and in your photo I see thick strokes that extend to the belly.