Topics

Bar-tailed Godwit; Emeryville

Brian Fitch

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...>
Date: Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:49 PM
Subject: Bar-tailed Godwit; Emeryville

I had to make an unexpected trip to Emeryville, and jumped in the car without a field guide or scope, only binos.  While waiting for my wife's appointment to end, I checked on the Powell St mudflats, and spotted what may be the Bar-tailed Godwit from last year.  It was the only godwit in a flock of Willets on the emerging mud south of Powell, just east of the police/fire station.

The bird was only a little bigger than the surrounding Willets, appeared in the strange light to be of the same pale body color as the Willets, showed a strong cap and supercilium, a relatively short bill, and had some dark centered scapulars with no marbling.  The flock flushed while I was searching field marks on my phone, so I didn't see the underwing or rump, and the group flew west and out of sight around the peninsula.

Brian Fitch
San Francisco