Topics

Ballena Bay (12/31) - possible Arctic Loon

Jerry Ting

Seen about a quarter mile out in the bay from the shore near the traffic circle off the road around 10:00 this (12/31/2019) morning. I originally listed it as a Pacific Loon in my eBird report but after reviewing the photos I took I decided to change the ID to Arctic Loon. A possible winter adult with a straight bill that is not as heavy as Common but thicker than Red-throated Loon, white face up to but not including eye, no chin strap, dark crown and neck, back is dark instead of scaly dark brownish, occasionally shows white flank patches.
Some distant photos are in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S62825902

Please feel free to comment on it.

Happy Birding and Happy 2020!
Jerry Ting