Topics

Bald Eagle over Albany Bulb?

Claude Lyneis

Wednesday afternoon after seeing the Pintails, Northern Shovelers, American Wigeons, Avocets and Black-necked Stilts, a big bird flapped by.  Unfortunately I didn’t;t catch as soon as I would have liked, but my photo shows a white head, hooked yellow beak and huge wings.  Looks like it is a Bald Eagel, which would be a surprise to me.  Here is the link to the photo.

jocelynalau@...

There is a "We love the Bulb" group on Facebook and one of the contributors posted her pictures and a video of the bald eagle on Wednesday. It was eating a coot. I am putting the link here, but I am not sure if you will be able to see the pictures: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158757326498340&;id=655158339

Jan Ambrosini

We were at the Albany Bulb on Tues., Dec. 15 in the afternoon as the tide went out, and watched one adult bald eagle for about an hour. We observed it being mobbed by crows, then perched on a post in the mudflats, hunting low over the water (swooping repeatedly over a shorebird, forcing it to dive), then later being mobbed by gulls. Interesting to learn that it was seen the next day as well, and succeeded in catching a coot.

Here is our checklist (sorry, no photos).

Happy birding!
Jan

--
Jan Ambrosini