Backyard feeder

Michael Marchiano

  Martinez Ca just of Morello and highway 4...A lot of wintertime regulars this week around the feeder, including white-crowned sparrows, golden-crowned sparrows, fox sparrows, juncos, Ca Towees, Bewick's wren, yellow-rumped warbler, Mourning doves, house finches, lesser goldfinches, pine siskins, chickadees, bushtits, titmouse, Nutall's woodpecker, Hairy's woodpecker, a ruby-crowned kinglet at the bark butter feeder along with a rose-breasted nuthatch. Most of these birds are visiting every day....also in the yard and at the birdbath are western bluebirds, black phoebes, crows, scrubjays, Robins (finishing off some toyon berries that the cedar wax-wings made short order of a few weeks ago). Vultures and red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks overhead and a bi-weekly visit by a coopers hawk that makes all the little ones disappear for a while.

--
Michael Marchiano
Naturalist

We will never be at peace until we are willing to understand, respect and live in harmony with all other living things.

All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today....Indian proverb