Back yard fun

Derek

Migration in our backyard is typically uneventful, this year being no exception but we got a nice late surprise when a Western Tanager flew into our patio dogwood just a few feet away this morning.

Another surprise was when we put our feeder back up a few days ago. I hadn’t seen one sparrow in our yard or on our street for weeks, but 15 minutes after loading the feeder with sunflower seeds  I came back to find 4 White-crowns, a Golden-crown, both towhee species and juncos.  Were they hiding in bushes waiting for the gravy train from last winter to return?  Today they were joined by a Yellow-rumped Warbler, so when the Townsend’s Warbler also finds the suet feeder we’ll have the full contingent back to enjoy until spring.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S96431222

Derek Heins

Piedmont