American Bittern at San Lorenzo shoreline

Derek

Today I made my standard stop at a small pond just north of San Lorenzo Creek as it’s a reliable spot for Common Gallinule and sometimes Sora too. Today I believe I added a new species in that pond, Cinnamon Teal, and as I looked up after recording that in eBird I noticed something in the reeds at the east end of the pond. Right out in the open was an American Bittern. Seen shortly after noon. The pond is easily accessible as it’s right off the intersection of Regatta Way and Baypoint Avenue and also from the Bay Trail.  Link for eBird checklist with photos below.

Derek Heins

https://ebird.org/checklist/S79785031