From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of ireddy via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:10 AM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] American Bittern

Hello,
On Saturday, an American Bittern flew by me and then landed on the bank across from where I was. I could observe it for 15/20 minutes in the open. It mostly snapped loudly at insects passing by and then proceeded to walk a bit across the grass. It was my first sighting of this bird. I wonder how common it is in the East Bay. The sighting was in Livermore (see ebird checklist). Would love to get some feedback.
Thank you.
Isabelle

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75002520

Preston Mui

Here's the link to the ebird sightings map for American Bitterns in the area for the last 5 years. Looks quite rare in that area.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:04 AM richard s. cimino <rscimino@...> wrote:
Hi,

At one time I was an avid birder of the Springtown Wetlands area including the Merlin Pond.
My last sighting of an American Bitten in the Spring Town area was 2010.
I move out eastern Alameda County the following year.
Maybe other birders have more recent sightings.
Nice photos in your ebird submission.

Rich Cimino
Marin County