Topics

American Bittern

ireddy@...

Hello,
On Saturday, an American Bittern flew by me and then landed on the bank across from where I was. I could observe it for 15/20 minutes in the open. It mostly snapped loudly at insects passing by and then proceeded to walk a bit across the grass. It was my first sighting of this bird. I wonder how common it is in the East Bay. The sighting was in Livermore (see ebird checklist). Would love to get some feedback.
Thank you.
Isabelle

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75002520

richard s. cimino

Hi,

At one time I was an avid birder of the Springtown Wetlands area including the Merlin Pond.
My last sighting of an American Bitten in the Spring Town area was 2010.
I move out eastern Alameda County the following year.
Maybe other birders have more recent sightings.
Nice photos in your ebird submission.

Rich Cimino
Marin County

-----Original Message-----
From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of ireddy via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:10 AM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] American Bittern

Hello,
On Saturday, an American Bittern flew by me and then landed on the bank across from where I was. I could observe it for 15/20 minutes in the open. It mostly snapped loudly at insects passing by and then proceeded to walk a bit across the grass. It was my first sighting of this bird. I wonder how common it is in the East Bay. The sighting was in Livermore (see ebird checklist). Would love to get some feedback.
Thank you.
Isabelle

Preston Mui

Here's the link to the ebird sightings map for American Bitterns in the area for the last 5 years. Looks quite rare in that area.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:04 AM richard s. cimino <rscimino@...> wrote:
Hi,

At one time I was an avid birder of the Springtown Wetlands area including the Merlin Pond.
My last sighting of an American Bitten in the Spring Town area was 2010.
I move out eastern Alameda County the following year.
Maybe other birders have more recent sightings.
Nice photos in your ebird submission.

Rich Cimino
Marin County

-----Original Message-----
From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of ireddy via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:10 AM
To: EBB-Sightings@groups.io
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] American Bittern

Hello,
Thank you.
Isabelle

ireddy@...

Thank you Rich for the feedback. It was my first time birding there and I will certainly go back and explore more. Unfortunately it seems that the Springtown Wetlands Preserve is now closed to the public, but I might be wrong.
Isabelle Reddy

ireddy@...

Thank you Preston for the map, it is awesome! I hadn't discovered this feature yet in the vast ebird website but I will certainly use it going forward. Very helpful.

Diana Graham

We saw one a couple of weeks ago at the bridge at Valle Vista Staging Area.  First one there ever.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10