Alleged rock sandpiper @ Emeryville

Alan Howe

Hi, all.

I need to apologize to anyone who may have tried to find the sandpiper I reported here on Wednesday. After studying my field guides some more & coming across a group of surfbirds yesterday today to the west of where I sighted the bird in question, I'm fairly sure it was indeed a surfbird

I will plead that I was confused by the variations of the illustrations in Sibley & Kaufman & that Wednesday's bird's plumage may have varied a bit from the norm. But I'll chalk this up as a lesson in being more careful before posting & sending folks out on a "wild sandpiper chase."

Peace,

Alan Howe
North Oakland