Topics

Albany Mudflats DUCKS

Alexander Henry

I am currently at Albany Mudflats (in Albany). I came to look for a super cool hybrid duck found by Dean LaTray - really great find and photos!

I bird this patch fairly regularly and this is by far the most active I have ever seen it. I am still working on trying to accurately quantify it, but there are certainly 100+ Shovelers and Green-winged Teal, and likely over a 100 American Wigeons as well although my first count was only 94 I probably missed some.

There are at least 6 Canvasbacks and at least 3 Eurasian Wigeons.

There is a Eurasian Green-winged Teal (Common Teal).

There is also Dean LaTray’s super cool hybrid, probably Shoveler x Wigeon.

Crazy! And that’s not even to mention the shorebirds, gulls, and the waterfowl farther out on the water too distant to count/identify.

Alex Henry
Berkeley

Stephen T Bird

The hybrid is still out. Currently very close to the standing  platform but with beak buried in the wind. Got a clear view with patience, hanging out with American wigeons at the moment. Really beautiful bird.
Stephen

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
I am currently at Albany Mudflats (in Albany). I came to look for a super cool hybrid duck found by Dean LaTray - really great find and photos!

I bird this patch fairly regularly and this is by far the most active I have ever seen it. I am still working on trying to accurately quantify it, but there are certainly 100+ Shovelers and Green-winged Teal, and likely over a 100 American Wigeons as well although my first count was only 94 I probably missed some.

There are at least 6 Canvasbacks and at least 3 Eurasian Wigeons.

There is a Eurasian Green-winged Teal (Common Teal).

There is also Dean LaTray’s super cool hybrid, probably Shoveler x Wigeon.

Crazy! And that’s not even to mention the shorebirds, gulls, and the waterfowl farther out on the water too distant to count/identify.

Alex Henry
Berkeley

Joe Morlan

Robbie Fischer and I visited the Albany mudflats yesterday afternoon but
did not see the hybrid. We did see at least two EURASIAN WIGEONS, one
female and one adult male.

Photos:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=eurwig&;view=Grid&subId=S77166330

I'm not sure if these are the same three reported by Alexander Henry.
Anybody else notice the female?

There was another wigeon that might be a molting immature male Eurasian
Wigeon or possibly a hybrid with American Wigeon. I'm on the fence on this
one and would be interested in any opinions.

Photos: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/66259930

Earlier we visited the Emeryville Marina where we were surprised to see a
very cooperative female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE.

Photos:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=bargol&;view=Grid&subId=S77166318

Stay well!
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Joe Morlan

Looking at today's photos, the bill looks more like a Pintail.

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 08:21:53 -0800, Rubatan@gmail.com wrote:

There is also Dean LaTray’s super cool hybrid, probably Shoveler x Wigeon.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

judisierra

I'm lost. Today what photos?