Topics

Albany Bulb local interest, and surprising TOWA behavior

Sharon Jue

Hi all, hope you've been able to enjoy this nice weather and bounty of wintering birds. I went out to the Albany waterfront yesterday about an hour after high tide. Good numbers of ducks on the (covered) mudflats including the continuing *Eurasian Wigeon*, lots of Northern Shovelers and Pintails, Green-winged Teals and American Wigeons. Also a few Canada Geese with the 3 *Cackling*. Towards the end of my visit, on the opposite side near the riprap was a female-type *Redhead*.

Most interesting to me was a Townsend's Warbler foraging on the rocks almost at my feet, probing exposed rootlets and seaweed. I'm used to craning my neck upwards to see them in conifers and oaks; it was disconcerting to look down on one. Also, I learned that the soles of their feet are bright yellow.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S76997130

good birding!
Sharon Jue
Berkeley

judisierra

There was some conjecture on SF Birds that the insectivores may be food stressed this year and that's why some in great numbers are feeding on the ground.