Topics

Alameda Creek-Ring-necked Ducks

kathy jarrett

GGAS Bicycle Bird Trip Fremont BART to Coyote Hills, Sat Mar
13, 2010
Eight of us biked from Fremont BART to Coyote Hills on this
cold, clear day with water rushing down Alameda Creek and found an explosion of
Canada Geese, Mallards, Pigeons and Starlings. We saw a Red-shouldered Hawk
near the freeway where we have seen them many times before. The Tree Swallows were swooping around the nesting boxes at Coyote
Hills. At the EBRPD Visitor Center we did not see that many birds other than the
explosion birds although we did find a Hermit Thrush there. It was only after we biked out on the part of Alameda Creek
that extends beyond the park that we saw large numbers of birds which were
mostly sheltering from the wind, and we saw the Chilean Flamingo that forages
in the salt ponds. On the way back we found a group of Ring-necked Ducks just
west of Decoto Rd. 56 species:
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe