From: Bruce Mast <cathrasher4@...>
To: East Bay Bird Sightings <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jul 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] ALA Shorebirding 7-25

Hello birders,
I took a biking / birding tour along the Alameda County shoreline, starting at San Leandro Bay around 11 am and ending at Eden Landing Ecological Preserve about 4:30. Most noteworthy observation was the complete lack of Forster's Terns. I saw zero.

The next most noteworthy observation was that the water is back at Frank's Dump (Hayward Regional Shoreline) and so are the shorebirds. I was there about an hour before high tide. There were about 2500 peeps and another 400 each of Marbled Godwits, Willets, and Black-bellied Plovers. Bonus birds were about 20 Red Knots, 4 Ruddy Turnstones, and a Black Turnstone. Also the obligatory Peregrine Falcon stirring the pot.

Third most interesting observation was the sheer number of shorebirds roosting at high tide at Eden's Landing. I estimated 5000 peeps and another 1000 large shorebirds. I counted 100 Semipalmated Plovers on the snowy plover nest sight along with the peeps.

Other treats include a number of Least Terns at the Hayward tern colony and at Eden Landing, a Surfbird at the shorebirds roost at Oro Loma Marsh.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland

Alexander Henry

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering if you could share coordinates or more specific location details about the roosting shorebirds at Eden Landing? Especially the massive peep flock. Eden Landing is such a big area it’s tough to know where to look.

Great that Franks Dump is back!

--
Alex Henry

Bruce Mast

For sure. Here's my actual checklist for Edens Landing: https://ebird.org/checklist/S92303248

Right now, there's just one levee road that's open to the public. It's out and back from the kayak launch, following Mt. Eden Creek, past the old Oliver Salt Works, to a lookout spot at the end. There's a loop trail that's closed seasonally (March-September) to protect nesting shorebirds. (See https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Eden-Landing-ER)

The concentration of peeps (5000 by my estimate) were in the big salt flats that have been managed for Snowy Plover nesting. I believe I scoped it from here: 37.60989888738766, -122.13322826820348. The flats have a bunch of oyster shells, half-buried clay pipes, and numbered markers to help with monitoring. The peeps were all distant, hunkered down, and still. I first mistook them for gray rocks that I thought could have been added along with the oyster shells to provide camouflage for the plovers. But then I realized some of them were moving. The Semipalm Plovers were in the same flats but close enough that I could make out their black breast bands. They were also hunkered down. I suspect there were some Snowys mixed in.

The big shorebirds were visible from the end of the trail: 37.60651452938873, -122.13814609846543. They were standing in shallow water to the south and west, distant and backlit. I made some educated guesses as to species and abundance, based on what I had seen throughout the day, but a more rigorous ebird entry would have been "large shorebird sp. 1500". Not much chance of picking out any rarities under those conditions. The Curlews were close to the viewing point.

While I'm at it, here are the rest of my ebird lists for the day:

Hayward RS at Grant Ave: https://ebird.org/checklist/S92292414
MLK Jr. Shoreline @ Garretson Pt: https://ebird.org/checklist/S92287667
MLK Jr Shoreline @ East Creek Slough: https://ebird.org/checklist/S92286539

I hope that helps.