Acorn Woodpeckers near Lake Anza, in Tilden Regional Park

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Birders:

I live on the eastern edge of Berkeley, with Lake Anza in open view directly below our house. My first record of Acorn Woodpeckers at home was on September 30, 2014, a fall/winter irruption year. Hearing Acorn Woodpecker calling from the east, I went onto our deck to try to call one over to our side of the county line. Moments later I was chagrined to realize that they were already working the live oaks in our back yard.

Since then I’ve detected Acorn Woodpeckers pretty regularly from home, except for 2018 and 2019, when because of their absence or my neglect I recorded none in our yard. But I did detect them in Tilden those years, and on August 6, 2020 they reappeared in our yard. They’ve remained regular ever since.

They’re welcome any time.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net

Kay Loughman

All:

September 2014 seems to have been significant for Acorn Woodpeckers in the East Bay Hills.  John Colbert reported the species in Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve on Sept. 14, 2014.  They have been seen there regularly ever since.

Kay Loughman
in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border

David Quady and Nancy Boas wrote on 5/19/2021 10:43 AM:
[...]

Sis

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 10:54 AM, Kay Loughman <kayloughman@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay

Well saw one today fly right in front of my face on Upper Strawberry Canyon fire road. Was running and not birding but probably my westernmost Acorn WP in Alameda County ever—i.e. the wrong side of the hills.

Jay Dodge
Berkeley

On May 19, 2021, at 1:02 PM, Sis via groups.io <scflef@...> wrote:

 Thank you.