Topics

Aberrant plumage on white-breasted nuthatch

Jerry Britten

And now finally a bird-related post.  My 9-year-old granddaughter first noticed this bird a couple weeks ago at our suet feeder, and I managed to get a photo today.  It is normal except for a wide, complete white collar around the nape which breaks the dark crown stripe.  See photo in ebird checklist  https://ebird.org/checklist/S65748765
Also yesterday, FOS house wren heard, heard again today.
Jerry Britten
Morgan Territory

Paul Schorr

Hi Jerry,

Very interesting plumage.

 It is really great fun birding with grandchildren.  We have three granddaughters who live in Brentwood and when they were young we often birded with them.  Now the oldest is 23 and the middle one is 19, and they have very busy lives.  The youngest is 16 and she still enjoys birding with us.  Hopefully, at some point in their lives, all of them will recall the enjoyment of birding and will take up the hobby again.

Enjoy your grandfather time.  The years go by so quickly.

Paul