Topics

a few Contra Costa Birds

rosita94598

Since Monday morning, we have been seeing a female Lesser Scaup with the Ring-necked Ducks in Walnut Creek's Heather Farm Park.  Not too long ago, the Ring-necked Ducks numbered upwards of 60-80 individuals.  Then, last week there numbers plummeted to less than 10.  Today they were back up to 28.
This evening, Rosita and I walked out the trail from the TransMontaigne Pipeline off the east part of  Waterfront Road.  We did this at dusk and were rewarded with a distant, perched Short-eared Owl.  Several Kites and Harriers were flying around, too.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek