A different marked Great Blue Heron and an Osprey north of Pt Isabel

Claude Lyneis

I was out on the SF Bay trail this morning about two after low time not expecting to see many birds but it was better than I had hoped.

My three favorites were an Osprey headed north.  It has a blue band on it left leg which shows up clearly in the photo linked below…

Second was a Great Blue Heron with different markings on its neck and was smaller than most.  Perhaps a juvenile.

As the Heron strolled by a female Mallard gathered all seven ducklings to protect them.

judisierra

Thanks to Clyde to report the sighting of one of the Richmond, CA banded juveniles. Any reports of banded ospreys seen are appreciated by the many citizen scientists following this nest.