9/17/21: Continuing Pacific Golden-plover at Hayward Shoreline, Frank’s Dump

Patricia Mahoney

Friday, 9/17/21: The Pacific Golden-plover continues with the Black-bellied Plover flock at Frank’s Dump’s mostly dry salt pond. High tide was at 10:38 AM. Groups of plovers flew around and landed at Frank’s Dump around 9:45 AM. The Pacific Golden-plover was among them as were two Ruddy Turnstones. A Caspian Tern joined the flock briefly. When the sun came out the Pacific Golden-plover shone more golden.

I met Ron and Nancy Overholtz at the W. Winton entrance at 7:30 AM and we walked out on the paved SF Bay trail under cloudy skies. The Hayward Landing water’s edge was busy with foraging shorebirds: many Willets, some Marbled Godwits and Long-billed Curlews… farther north, many Black-bellied Plovers foraged. Waves of Least Sandpipers and Western Sandpipers flew in, landed or moved farther south. Two Snowy Plovers were on the beach- always a delight!

Pat Mahoney
Hayward

On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:27 PM, Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff@...> wrote:

At Frank’s Dump along Hayward Shoreline north of Hayward Landing.

Pacific Golden-plover Sat afternoon, seen well around 3:30 near high tiide, among many Black-bellied Plovers.  Standing up by itself for clear views.

Very little water in Frank’s Dump, so Marbled Godwits and Willets were roosting in Ora Loma Marsh to the north.

GGAS field trip.

Maureen Lahiff
Oakland