FOS in full swing in the backyard

Robert Firehock

Near College and Claremont in North Oakland:

Tuesday my 'resident' Townsend's Warbler was sighted (FOS). Yesterday I had a Song Sparrow and two Red-breasted Nuthatches and then today my FOS Golden-crowned Sparrow.

These are the usual birds I get. Some years they stay for the 'winter', others they seem to find competing venues.

My backyard is not particularly verdant, but I suspect the bird bath fountain and the daily activity of the local residents around my simple platform feeder (House Finches, Titmice, Chickadees, Doves, Anna's and Towhees) attracts their attention.

Looking forward to more seasonal arrivals in the weeks ahead.

Enjoy, Robert

Alan Howe

There were a number of Townsend's busy in the trees on the west side of the Lake Temescal dam this afternoon around 4:00. Also a number of Eurasian collared doves in a tree above the upper west-side trail.

& from the west shore of the lake, I'm pretty certain I saw a juvenile green heron in the trees above the east side.

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 10:57 AM Robert Firehock <rafirehock@...> wrote:
Near College and Claremont in North Oakland:

Tuesday my 'resident' Townsend's Warbler was sighted (FOS). Yesterday I had a Song Sparrow and two Red-breasted Nuthatches and then today my FOS Golden-crowned Sparrow.

These are the usual birds I get. Some years they stay for the 'winter', others they seem to find competing venues.

My backyard is not particularly verdant, but I suspect the bird bath fountain and the daily activity of the local residents around my simple platform feeder (House Finches, Titmice, Chickadees, Doves, Anna's and Towhees) attracts their attention.

Looking forward to more seasonal arrivals in the weeks ahead.

Enjoy, Robert

amy.richey@sbcglobal.net

Long time lurker, first time poster, here.  Thank you all for all your contributions over the years.

Alan, I don't doubt you saw green heron, as I regularly see them at Lake Temescal.  One sighting last month included two individuals perched on nearby powerlines above the boathouse, alongside several dozen rock pigeons.  Ebird did doubted the sighting, but I did manage to take some not very good-cell-phone-through-binos ID photos of them.

Amy Richey
Oakland

Jay

No sparrows yet but my Hermit Thrush is back as of today.
And a Spotted Towhee I haven’t seen since April

Jay Dodge
Berkeley