Vaux's Swift courtship display in East Bay?

Cathy Bleier

On a bird walk in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area yesterday I saw a pair of swifts swirl around each other and fall through the air. Twice. I assume this was a courtship fall. Try as I might, I could not make out a white throat, and the birds weren't that high up. Could it have been Vaux's Swift? Would they likely be doing courtship behavior around here? Thanks.

rfs_berkeley

I have been wondering about this for years.

Vaux's Swifts nest to the north of us, in places like the Napa Valley;

they nest to the south of us, in San Jose.

Baby Vaux's Swifts found in a fireplace in Martinez were once brought in to Lindsay Museum for rehab.

Nesting in the East Bay would not surprise me.  And there are a number of chimneys in the El Cerrito Hills lacking spark guards.

---
Rusty Scalf