FOS yard Golden crowned sparrow

Rosemary Johnson

However, as the years go on (at least 5 now or more?), I have wondered whether it is exactly the same birds or their descendants.

On 10/04/2021 12:26 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:

Not surprised by this because I've had the same flock of exactly 6 GCS in my yard for years.
On 10/04/2021 12:08 PM Idell Weydemeyer <iwgarden@...> wrote:

Gold Crowns (GC)  in EL Sobrante singing on the 26th Sept and White Crowns arrived on the 1st. . If you have seen the Pacific Hort article , a study in santa cruz showed that GC  come back to the SAME   individual  bush and some nearby bushes  they were in the previous winter- amazing- check out the Pacific Hort article.

Idell Weydemeyer

From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Prunty
Sent: Monday, October 4, 2021 11:26 AM
To: judisierra@...
Cc: EBB <ebb-sightings@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] FOS yard Golden crowned sparrow

Yesterday I saw two here in Pinole. They were just across the fence in my neighbor's yard. Also close enough.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Phila Rogers

Oh you lucky people!  I now live in Santa Barbara and I haven't heard a GC since I moved here eight years ago.  And I have to go to our Bot. garden in Mission Canyon to see a fox sparrow.  Phila Rogers

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:26 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:
[...]

Kay Loughman

We had three Golden-crowns show up at our house on 9/23 - all with immature plumage.  Heard chips, but no songs all week.  But then on 10/2 there was a lot of singing, and (coincidentally?) there were two adult plumaged birds on the deck.  It's well known that this species sings on the wintering ground; but I wonder if the singing - at least in the fall - comes primarily from adult birds returning to the wintering ground?

Kay Loughman
in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border

judisierra via groups.io wrote on 10/4/2021 11:08 AM:
After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

Avast logo

Randy Prunty

Yesterday I saw two here in Pinole. They were just across the fence in my neighbor's yard. Also close enough.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After seeing them on Vollmer Peak a few days ago,  they finally arrived here. I heard the "Oh dear me" song this morning. It was across the street while I was washing my car. Close enough.

Judi Sierra
Oakland

judisierra