Black-headed Grosbeak and Band-tailed Pigeons

Rosemary Nishikawa

I have had a female Grosbeak feeding at my feeder off and on for over a month. I live above Heather Farms park in Walnut Creek.

On Aug 18, 2021, at 9:24 AM, David Robinson <dvdrobinson@...> wrote:

For what it's worth, I think a trio of Black-headed Grosbeaks flew over my apartment building in Oakland (just west of Highland Hospital, east of Lake Merritt) this past Monday in the early evening sunlight. The calls were what attracted my attention (closest recorded match I've found are the Black-headed Grosbeak "Chink Calls" in the Sibley app). And the size and color would fit. But I didn't get a good enough look and listen to be sure.

David Robinson

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 10:26 PM Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis@...> wrote:
Around 5:30 tonight I was walking a quarter mile east of Grizzly Peak on Wildcat Canyon Road and on a roadside tree that has bunches on small blue berries, a Black-head Grosbeak and several Band-tailed pigeons were foraging on the berries.  Unfortunately my camera was sitting at home.  Just one year ago, we had a Black-headed Grosbeak visiting out bird feeder for about two weeks, so I guess this is their time to be in Berkeley.

[...]

Claude Lyneis