Question on Hummingbird's molting

Teale Fristoe

Birds generally do molt symmetrically, and they usually do it in a way where only a small number of feathers are missing at once to minimize the impact on flying ability. It would be unusual to see a big chunk of feathers missing from a molting bird. I'd say it's likely that something attacked your hummingbird, maybe a domestic cat?

Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM ireddy via groups.io <ireddy=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello everyone,
On 04/07/2021, so about 3 weeks ago, I had this Anna's Hummingbird (I believe) stop at my feeder for a drink, in Pleasanton. I noticed that it was missing some of its tail and maybe rump feathers. (see photos on ebird listing) What struck me though was that it was only on the right side of its body and I read that molting was symmetrical to allow the bird to keep its balance in flight. So maybe this bird was not molting and lost its feathers for another reason. any input would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Isabelle
https://ebird.org/checklist/S85063832

ireddy@...