Band-tailed Pigeons in Eastern Alameda

Alexander Henry

Dave,

I was not at all intending to single you out. I was more making the general point that Band-tailed Pigeons are less common in the eastern part of Alameda county (versus the lusher, more forested East Bay hills), so we should all as a group strive to document our Band-tailed Pigeon sightings in the part of Alameda county east of Livermore.

I think there are likely at least a couple erroneous reports by other observers. And even for the reports which are correct, which there are many, I am just encouraging people to make more of an effort to do write-ups or get photos, and bringing their attention to the fact that the status of this species is different in different areas of the East Bay counties.

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, David Yeamans <davidralphyeamans@...> wrote:
Thank you Alex for correcting one of my impressions. My GISS (general impression of size and shape -- also including behaviors) was incorrect, even with a photo. I thought I could tell the difference between rock pigeons and band-tailed pigeons in flight in poor light at a distance but in one case I was mistaken. Checklist has been corrected.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Dave Yeamans
My job in this world is to wage peace. [see Ezekiel, Ch.38 YMMV]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

--
Alex Henry

David Yeamans

Thank you Alex for correcting one of my impressions. My GISS (general impression of size and shape -- also including behaviors) was incorrect, even with a photo. I thought I could tell the difference between rock pigeons and band-tailed pigeons in flight in poor light at a distance but in one case I was mistaken. Checklist has been corrected.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Dave Yeamans
My job in this world is to wage peace. [see Ezekiel, Ch.38 YMMV]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Lyn Dailey

I’m by no means an expert birder but pretty sure there were large flocks lurking in my neighborhood for about a month recently in the east Oakland hills. I was able to observe them in close trees for long periods and they appeared to be band tailed pigeons to me.
Lyn

On Mar 9, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Alexander Henry <awhenry@umich.edu> wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry to be nitpicky, but here goes.

There have been a lot of reports of Band-tailed Pigeons in Eastern Alameda county recently.

Please keep in mind that Band-tailed Pigeons are NOT common in east county. There is lots of suitable habitat at the upper elevations of Mines Road, and high counts of Band-tailed Pigeons there do not surprise me, however they are still not particularly common at Mines Road, and do in my opinion merit either written notes or photos if large numbers are observed.

Elsewhere in the eastern part of the Livermore Valley and the Altamont Hills (such as Cedar Mountain Winery), there is very little suitable habitat, and Band-tailed Pigeon sightings should definitely be documented with write-ups or photos. I’m not saying they don’t or can’t occur, just that they are uncommon enough in that area that care should be taken to separate them from other pigeon and dove species, and some form of written or photographic documentation would be greatly appreciated (at least by me personally).

In order to understand the status of Band-tailed Pigeon in this area, consider that they are flagged “rare” in eBird in both Stanislaus and San Joaquin counties, I believe. There are only 2 previous records of Band-tailed Pigeon from Del Puerto Canyon (not far from upper Mines Road), and only a handful of records, mostly small numbers, from Kiln Canyon in the Corral Hollow Pass area (near Tesla Road and Cedar Mountain Winery). Given the rarity status of this species only a few miles away over the county line, I think we should all make a collective effort to properly document Band-tailed Pigeon sightings in eastern Alameda county.

Again, sorry if it seems like I’m nitpicking! (I am, admittedly). And for those who are interested in finding rarities, given the large numbers of Band-tailed Pigeons at Mines Road, a trip to Del Puerto Canyon could be a good idea! (It’s also getting into that Costa’s time of year, isn’t it?)

Thanks!
Alex Henry
Berkeley

Alexander Henry