two recent observations

rosita94598

Some of us were walking around the stairs and near the spillway at Lake Anza in Tilden Regional Park yesterday, Feb. 23, looking unsuccessfully for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  So it was nice that Sam and Albert Linkowski were able to re-find the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, good on you.

Today in Heather Farm Park, I was surprised to see a male Wood Duck at the bottom of the gravel boat ramp.  I want to say how gorgeous he was, but then, all of those guys are.  A few minutes after I saw him from the boat ramp, I re-found him from the wooden railing near the parking lot.  By that time he was in the company of a female, no doubt the one who has been around since before Christmas.

At one point she appeared to chase him a very short distance, but I hesitate to comment on what that might mean.  It could be as simple as one duck letting another duck know that "You're too close."  On the other hand, the Canada Geese were rambunctious this morning, and their behavior did not seem to bother the Wood Ducks.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek