Red-necked Grebe at San Pablo Reservoir

Derek

This afternoon after the rain subsided I biked along Old San Pablo Trail from the intersection of San Pablo Dam Road/Bear Creek Road to the northern end of the reservoir. I spotted a Red-necked Grebe from the Main Recreation Area (37.934315, -122.253528) associating with a group of Clark’s Grebes. It was a ways away, but nothing like the one many of us scoped at Mallard Reservoir last year.  The challenge is getting to this area as the gate to the parking area is closed due to the corona-virus.  I would assume the Clark’s Grebe flock this bird is associating with moves around the reservoir; as I watched they slowly worked their way south.  eBird report link below.

Derek Heins

https://ebird.org/checklist/S79723359

Derek

Today I met Ethan Monk at the parking lot at Kennedy Grove Regional Recreation Area.  We walked up to the reservoir on Old San Pablo Trail to the Main Recreation Area (maybe ½ mile) and within a few minutes located the Red-necked Grebe half-way across the reservoir associating with roughly 40 Western/Clark’s Grebes.  By the time I got my camera out for a few photos a very polite EBRP policeman came along and told us the park is closed.

So the deal is that you need to stay on Old San Pablo Trail which basically cuts through the uphill end of the park. So we walked straight up-hill to that point but weren’t able to re-find the Red-necked as the grebes probably moved south out of view through the pine trees.  I would say that in the case of both days I’ve seen the Red-necked that I would have been able to see it from the trail as it’s fairly open through that stretch.    FYI, the park is schedule to open February 5th.

eBird report with photo https://ebird.org/checklist/S79850180

Derek Heins