Today at Hilltop Lake

Rosemary Johnson

Highlights:
Many flickers - might see one here but today saw many.
First red-shouldered hawk here - usually see red tails perched high on transmission towers, red-shouldered flew over lake and perched on tree just above the lake
Purple gallinule juvenile - coloring was in between young juvenile and full adult. (Common and purple are seen here each winter)
3 Canvasback males
And a duck that I didn't include on my list because I just couldn't figure out what it was.  It was brown and black with white markings.  Not a ruddy or bufflehead - larger and markings didn't fit. Not ring-necked duck either - these usually make an appearance here but none yet. Too bad a didn't have a camera with me.  Need to get one for birding on my own so I can capture these anomalies.

If you are unfamiliar with this location, I have to tell you that it is a small gem.  Fresh water lake which attracts lots of waterfowl and shrubs and trees around for passerines.  I'm always amazed at the variety here in such a small area.

Rosemary Johnson

Alan Howe

Hi.

Exactly where is this gem? Haven't heard of it before.

Thanks.

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Rosemary Johnson <compasros@...> wrote:
[...]

janet ellis

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 10:58 AM, Alan Howe <adhowe@...> wrote:

[...]

You can usually reach it from the YWCA parking lot off Richmond Parkway but that lot is closed due to closure of the gym.  The alternate location is the corner of Lakeside Drive and Research Drive in Richmond.

On 01/03/2021 10:57 AM Alan Howe <adhowe@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Morlan

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 18:09:58 -0800 (PST), "Rosemary Johnson"
<compasros@...> wrote:

Purple gallinule juvenile - coloring was in between young juvenile and full adult. (Common and purple are seen here each winter)
Actually Purple Gallinule is accidental in California with only six
accepted records mostly from Southern California. The only previous East
Bay record is from October 1986 in Hayward.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Cathy Bleier

This was my patch for the Master Birder class. I’ve led monthly walks there the past 2 years till Covid.   https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L1405454&yr=all&m=

I went yesterday and unfortunately they are removing vegetation (a lot of willows) around the lake, providing access where none existed before.  I’ve called the Parks Dept. in the past over veg removal, but this amount is way beyond.  I’m guessing it’s to provide fishing access, since there were 3 anglers there yesterday, or perhaps for better lake views, to reduce homeless tents (really only an occasional problem), reduce fire hazards (also not really a problem), or remove senescent, non-native pines (which I doubt is the motivation).    Guess I’ll know when I speak with someone.

Robins and Waxwings were in abundance yesterday on acacias and toyon, the Flicker family is in, and there was a Myrtle’s warbler, as usual, with a few YR,  but there were almost NO ducks!!   I really fear that the increased access and view will impact their use of this site.

I was wondering if/how GGAS might lend its voice to protect its habitat values.

Cathy Bleier