Topics

Pacific Commons Linear Park

Stephen T Bird

Alex I think we met and maybe pointed something else out to you, at least I recall exchanging names with you, and Dawn and Yvette (who traded their burrowing owl for the dark ferruginous). Thx!

That (tentative) Bells/Sagebrush is mine. I did not bring a camera as I was “on errands” with my first lovely trip to Pacific Commons as a side show. Someone else will have to get out with definitive proof or accept the description for its limitations. I would appreciate suggestions.

About halfway up the north-south paved trail on the west side, where the white-throated has been spotted (apparently more than one as I saw a tan-striped adult or immature and I was told of a white-striped), I spotted the sparrow in question traveling with yellow-crowned. It immediately struck me due to its dark lateral throat stripes (and their shape)  reminiscent of a diminished five-stripe sparrow but without all the other contrast in in the supercilium, also ruling out what might be a strange lark sparrow. Crucial here it lacked isolated dark spot of the chest making the bells/sagebrush ID questionable. Otherwise it lacked color in crown and wings, ruling out rufous crown and wing (also very unlikely due to size and shape of lateral throat stripes), and was not heavily stripped, otherwise mostly clean breast (including the odd lack of the isolated breast spot) removing any chance of an odd juvenile lark sparrow (also wrong shape overall). The lateral throat stripes did not extend as fully to the beak and were a little splotchy at the upper vertex. I’m actually thinking this is a sagebrush because, with the lateral throat stripes, it was fairly light for what I would expect a bells, and in my sun of more light tans than I still expect of either. Light through uncertain if bright-white eye rings. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Seen <5ft unobstructed,for a good minute, with some “pocket” bushnell 8x32s.

-Stephen

PS I also appreciate the parking discussion. I talked to security and I was given ...unproductive... parking directions.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:14 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I swung by Pacific Commons Linear Park today to see the Harris’s Sparrow found last week by Jason Tanner. It seems to be spending a majority of time in a weedy field  near where Bunche Drive becomes Nobel Drive. The same exact spot where there was a Vesper Sparrow earlier in the fall - clearly a good spot to check for Sparrows in the future!

Also present was the returning dark morph Ferruginous Hawk, always a cool bird to see. Also a Golden Eagle, Redheads, Common Gallinules, Ring-necked Ducks, Virginia Rails, etc. A distant flock of flying Greater White-fronted Geese early in the morning was a nice surprise.

I ran into Dawn and Yvette who also saw a second Ferruginous Hawk, and several birders saw a Burrowing Owl.

There were quite a few birders present looking for the Harris’s Sparrow. Some of them saw the fake owl on a telephone pole and thought it was a real Great Horned Owl. I just want to clarify that it is NOT an owl!

There was also a Bell’s Sparrow reported at Pacific Commons Linear Park today. While Bell’s Sparrow is not considered rare in eBird, due to its (still quite sparse) distribution in the interior coast range, Bell’s Sparrow would be VERY rare at this location. I hope that documentation can be provided, or the record is changed...

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! And I encourage everyone to get out as much as possible over the next few weeks, and find some good wintering birds for the CBCs!

Alex Henry
Berkeley

janet ellis

We were parking on auto mall road. Ignore the no parking signs. No police show up the ticket. We were told it was to discourage homeless campers. No guarantee but we’ve never seen police and no one has it gotten a ticket

On Monday, November 30, 2020, 2:22 PM, Martha Morrow <mfmorrow@...> wrote:

Bill Scoggins and I went yesterday and found that cul de sac to include a No Stopping sign that had black tape over over the No word. Super frustrating looking for parking there. We had to just leave and not get to even look for the bird. Infuriating!!
 I’m so curious as to where everybody else seems to be successfully parking! Everyone risking a ticket?

Why build a park and not allow ANY parking? I don’t get it.

Marty Morrow

On Nov 30, 2020, at 1:27 PM, Bob Toleno <bob@...> wrote:

A representative from Ohlone Audubon contacted the Fremont Parks and Recreation department to inquire about the parking situation at Pacific Commons. The response from a project manager for the park that was received today stated that there is legal parking "at the cul-de-sac at the end of Auto Mall Parkway." That location is:

37.4956800, -121.9885690

In this street view of the location in Google Maps, you can see that there is a dirt lot adjacent to the end of the cul-de-sac which does have a car parked there in the street view photo:

As Alex suggested, the area of Auto Mall Parkway near the northwest end of the park (37.4976546, -121.9853821) is where virtually everyone has always parked--including me--and i'm unaware of anyone who has encountered problems, even though there are new "No Stopping" signs. If you want to be strictly legal about it, it sounds like that dirt lot at the very end of the Auto Mall Parkway cul-de-sac is the safest place to park.

Bob Toleno
Hayward

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 1:01 PM Alexander Henry <awhenry@...> wrote:
I received a question about parking at Pacific Commons and decided to group reply since this is a perennial problem.

Simply put, there is no good answer - there is no designated parking area for the park.

There are two strategies, neither of which is technically legal, but I have done both a few times without any negative consequences. The more accepted of the two is to park along Automall Parkway near the northwest end of the park, (37.4976546, -121.9853821). The probably less accepted option is to park in the newly paved parking lot near Bunche Dr and Nobel Dr, approximately (37.4952252, -121.9745278).

Seems like for now you need to just figure it out for yourself, and accept the very slight risk you incur by parking illegally. As far as I am aware, many people have used both of these parking options without being ticketed or towed.

Martha Morrow

[...]

Alexander Henry